All it takes is 15 minutes a week to keep your community clean all year long. Pledge to spend 15 minutes by yourself, or with a team, cleaning up problem areas you see. Clean-up spaces around your home or place of business, or contact the Downtown Spokane office to coordinate a team clean-up and receive supplies and assistance.
If you’re competitive, snap a photo of your efforts, tag @downtownspokane on any social media platform with the hashtag #SpringClean2019.
Enter to win morning doughnuts and coffee for your team by submitting below. Courtesy of Downtown Spokane and Republic Services.
Daily areas of emphasis:
- Monday: Sidewalks
- Tuesday: Graffiti and parking lots
- Wednesday: Alleyways
- Thursday: Planter and tree beds
- Friday Spiff the Block: Downtown is throwing a mini Block Party to help clean-up areas that need some love. Register to participate on Volunteer Spokane, as part of Spokane Gives Month.
If you are planning a daily clean-up with a team, make it count by registering your volunteer hours on Volunteer Spokane.
As a business
As a business make the pledge to reduce the amount waste, litter and energy use you create. During Spring Clean Week implement one, or several, of the suggestions below and make a big difference a little bit at a time.
- The number one item of litter is food waste. Offer a deal for diners who bring in their own mugs or re-usable containers for to-go beverages.
- Establish smoking areas with appropriate ash receptacles for employees and customers.
- Encourage customers to bring their own bag, sell re-usable cloth bags or only use bags for large and bulky items.
- Plant and maintain flowers along a curb or sidewalk. People litter less where areas have been beautified.
- Open garbage cans will get rummaged through. Invest in a locking dumpster or a gated area to dispose of trash. Work with neighboring properties to collaborate on the best place for trash to go.
Install motion sensor lights in alley to reduce energy use and create safe, well-lit spaces.
Clean and safe
The downtown Clean Team encourages participants to dispose of materials safely.
Please do not reach into bushes or other areas which may contain potentially harmful items such as drug paraphernalia, needles, broken glass, etc. Use gloves at all times, do not pick anything up with your bare hands. Stay away from biological waste. If you encounter any of the preceding call the Clean Team at 509.624.9111. Report graffiti to the City of Spokane by calling 3-1-1.
Follow all traffic signs and signals when crossing streets. If you are working on a sidewalk please wear a reflective safety vest. Please do not make any attempt at waking people up who may be in your way.
Spring Clean Week is presented by Republic Services
Republic Services, Inc. was incorporated in 1996 with a “can do” spirit, driving its dramatic growth and acquisitions through the years, welcoming other organizations that share its values and fiduciary discipline. Today, Republic Services, Inc. is the second largest provider of services in the domestic non-hazardous solid waste industry. Republic Services provides non-hazardous solid waste and recycling services for commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers.