Downtown Pedestrian improvements
This project will design and construct pedestrian improvement in the Downtown Core consisting primarily of structural sidewalk repair/replacement. The project also includes minor sidewalk repair, street tree infill, and replacement of hazardous street tree grates and installation of bike racks, planters and garbage cans.
This $1.4M project is being funded with Federal, State and Local funds. See the list of City pedestrian improvements here.
Wall Street improvements
The City will be constructing a sewer main in Wall Street from Main Avenue to Spokane Falls Boulevard this summer. This project is part of the Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) program to reduce pollutants going to the Spokane River. The project will be constructed in two phases: the underground pipe work this summer and a second phase next spring will construct permanent concrete pavement and sidewalks.
Here are some key points of the project:
- Construction will start on Monday, August 3, 2015, and we anticipate construction being completed by the middle of October.
- The project will be advertised for bid next week and bids opens on July 6 to have our contractor ready to start by August 3.
- The intersection at Main Avenue will be done first. The intersection will be closed at times, but we are trying to get this work done quickly to minimize disruption.
- Wall Street will be closed to vehicular traffic during the project, but pedestrian access to businesses will be maintained. We are working with the City’s Parking Department to dedicate loading zones along Howard at the alley and along Spokane Falls Boulevard in front of Wheatland Bank.
- Temporary asphalt pavement will be used for the road surface through the winter.
Later this summer, property owners and community members will be surveyed about surface improvements that will be constructed next spring. If you have any concerns or questions about this project, please contact Andrew Rolwes at Downtown Spokane (509.456.0580) or Marlene Feist with the City of Spokane (509.625.6505).