If you witness any crime or emergency in progress or that has just occurred,
call 9-1-1 immediately.
Downtown Spokane and the City of Spokane work to ensure Spokane’s city center is
welcoming to professionals, visitors, and residents. The City of Spokane provides resources to
maintain public safety for all businesses and individuals that have chosen downtown Spokane
as their neighborhood.
Who to call
If you witness any crime or emergency in progress or that has just occurred,
If you witness any non-emergency criminal activity, call the Crime Check Hotline at 509.456.2233, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Or, submit an online crime report at SpokanePolice.org/CrimeCheck.
If you observe criminal activity after-the-fact, report it to Crime Check. Simply registering criminal activity with Crime Check helps Police develop long-term plans for allocating limited resources where needed most.
For downtown safety, hospitality, and graffiti issues
Call the downtown Ambassadors are 509.353.9111. Ambassadors assist with many needs, including employee/customer escorts to parked cars, any type of street disturbances, jumpstarting stalled vehicles, or other urgent situations.
- Ambassadors are at your service Sunday–Thursday, 8am–6pm, and Friday–Saturday, 8am–7pm.
- Ambassadors also provide visitor directions as Certified Tourism Ambassadors.
- Their valuable services ensure safe and friendly on-street activity, improving the quality of life.
- To request graffiti removal Downtown, call the Clean Team at 509.624.9111.
- You can submit an online graffiti report at my.spokanecity.org/police/prevention/graffiti/ or call 3-1-1.
988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline
Previously known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 9-8-8 is a national network of more than 200 crisis centers that helps thousands of people overcome crisis situations every day. These centers are supported by local and state sources as well as the Department of Health and Human Services’ Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). As of July 16, 2022, all calls and text messages to “988” route to a 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline call center.
• Provides Support: People can also dial 988 if they are worried about a loved one who may need crisis support.
• FCC Rules: Under FCC rules, calls and texts to 988 will be directed to the Lifeline. Calls and texts to 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) will also continue to reach the 988 Lifeline even after the nationwide implementation of 988.
• Saving Lives: The FCC actions reflect its commitment to saving lives and connecting individuals to necessary intervention services. Switching to the easy-to-remember 988 makes it easier for individuals in crisis to access the help they need and decrease the stigma surrounding suicide and mental health issues.
• Important Step: The 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is an important step toward strengthening and transforming crisis care in this country. It serves as a universal entry point so that no matter where you live, you can reach a trained crisis counselor who can help.
• Help for Veterans: For calls, pressing “1” after dialing 988 will connect you directly to the Veterans Crisis Lifeline which serves our nation’s Veterans, service members, National Guard and Reserve members, and those who support them. For texts, continue to text the Veterans
Crisis Lifeline short code: 838255.
In Spokane, Frontier Behavioral Health is our local Crisis Lifeline Center and can be found at www.fbhwa.org.
For emergencies or if you are concerned for your safety, call 9-1-1.
For non-emergencies, call the Crime Check Hotline at 509.456.2233. To submit a report online, visit SpokanePolice.org/CrimeCheck.
Know the rules
It is a gross misdemeanor to intentionally deface public or private property, by etching, painting, spray painting, covering, gouging, drawing upon, or otherwise placing a mark upon public or private property without owner authorization. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.10.070) It is the property owner’s responsibility to remove or cover the graffiti within 10 days of notice, in order to mitigate further proliferation of graffiti. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.10.090)
LITTER & RUBBISH
No owner or occupant of abutting property may allow the accumulation of litter on sidewalks or planting strips, whether or not such litter is deposited by such owner or occupant. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.08.010)
LIQUOR PUBLIC CONSUMPTION / OPEN CONTAINER
It is a class 3 civil infraction to open a liquor container or consume liquor in a public place, except as permitted by law. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.08.200)
It is a class 3 civil infraction to open or consume a package containing marijuana or a marijuana-infused product in view of the general public. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.15.220)
Smoking is prohibited within a minimum distance of 25 feet from entrances, exits, open windows, and ventilation intakes that serve enclosed smoking prohibited areas. (State of Washington RCW 70.160.075)
MALICIOUS MISCHIEF (VANDALISM)
It is a gross misdemeanor to knowingly and maliciously cause physical damage to any public or private building, structure, or
personal property without owner authorization. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.12.020)
PUBLIC DISTURBANCE NOISE
It is unlawful to knowingly cause or permit sound that is a public disturbance noise and refuse to cease when ordered to do so by a law enforcement officer. The content of the sound will not be considered in determining any violation. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.08D.090)
No person may ride a bicycle, skateboard, or non-motorized vehicle upon any sidewalk or other pedestrian way within the congested retail zone. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 16a.61.787)
PEDESTRIAN/VEHICLE INTERFERENCE / AGGRESSIVE PANHANDLING
It is a misdemeanor to intentionally obstruct pedestrian or vehicle traffic flow in a public place, or aggressively solicit someone using conduct that would likely intimidate a reasonable person. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.10.025)
SIT AND LIE
It is a misdemeanor to sit or lie on, or upon any object not intended for sitting, on a public sidewalk, 6:00am - midnight in the retail core. Boundaries are generally Spokane Falls Blvd. to the freeway and Division St. to Maple St. A Police Officer must first advise violators and give reasonable time to comply. If they refuse to move or are contacted again, they may be cited. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.10.026)
PUBLIC TRANSIT CONDUCT
It is a misdemeanor to knowingly: smoke or carry a lit pipe, cigar, or cigarette; discard litter; spit, urinate, or defecate; consume or possess an alcoholic beverage; obstruct or impede transit vehicle flow or passenger traffic; or unreasonably disturb others, while on or in a transit vehicle or station. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.10.100)
It is a misdemeanor to knowingly enter or remain unlawfully in or upon another’s premises. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.12.050). To trespass an individual from your property use this form. Keep a copy on file at your business along with the incident number provided by Crime Check (509.456.2233). Request through Crime Check that an officer come by to receive a copy of the completed form. If the individual returns there will be documentation to prove they were trespassed from a previous date. The SPD recommends that the trespass not exceed two years. To post a notice in doorways, use this 8"x 10" template.
It is a gross misdemeanor to make or have in possession any tool or implement that is adapted, designed, or commonly used for vehicle prowling. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.12.045)