Who to call

  • For emergencies

    If you witness any crime or emergency in progress or that has just occurred,
    call 9-1-1 immediately.

  • For non-emergencies

    If you witness any non-emergency criminal activity, call the Crime Check Hotline at 509.456.2233, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Or, submit an online crime report at SpokanePolice.org/CrimeCheck.

    If you observe criminal activity after-the-fact, report it to Crime Check. Simply registering criminal activity with Crime Check helps Police develop long-term plans for allocating limited resources where needed most.

  • For downtown safety, hospitality, and graffiti issues

    Call the downtown Ambassadors are 509.353.9111. Ambassadors assist with many needs, including employee/customer escorts to parked cars, any type of street disturbances, jumpstarting stalled vehicles, or other urgent situations.

    • Ambassadors also provide visitor directions as Certified Tourism Ambassadors.
    • Their valuable services ensure safe and friendly on-street activity, improving the quality of life.
    • Ambassadors are at your service Tuesday-Saturday with limited Monday hours.
    • To request graffiti removal Downtown, call the Clean Team at 509.624.9111.
    • You can submit an online graffiti report at my.spokanecity.org/police/prevention/graffiti/ or call 3-1-1.
  • 24/7 Crisis hotline

    The toll free number is 1.877.266.1818.

    The priority of this 24/7 crisis line, which is accredited by the American Association of Suicidology, is to provide services for and on behalf of individuals whose health or safety is in danger because of a mental health or substance use condition and may need an assessment by a mental health professional.

    It is a crisis situation if you or someone you know:

    • Is actively thinking about suicide or other self-harming behavior, or has already acted on these thoughts.
    • Is having thoughts of harming others.
    • Is in danger because of a mental health or substance use condition and is in need of an evaluation by a mental health professional for safety planning, which may include an assessment for outpatient or inpatient treatment.
    • Is unwilling to agree to voluntary help, and is in need of involuntary inpatient psychiatric or substance use disorder treatment.

    If you are not in crisis and call the crisis line, you will be referred to Eastern Washington 211, a resource line that provides free information about community resources and human services including local support groups.

  • After hours

    For emergencies or if you are concerned for your safety, call 9-1-1.

    For non-emergencies, call the Crime Check Hotline at 509.456.2233. To submit a report online, visit SpokanePolice.org/CrimeCheck.

Know the rules


    It is a gross misdemeanor to intentionally deface public or private property, by etching, painting, spray painting, covering, gouging, drawing upon, or otherwise placing a mark upon public or private property without owner authorization. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.10.070) It is the property owner’s responsibility to remove or cover the graffiti within 10 days of notice, in order to mitigate further proliferation of graffiti. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.10.090)


    No owner or occupant of abutting property may allow the accumulation of litter on sidewalks or planting strips, whether or not such litter is deposited by such owner or occupant. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.08.010)


    It is a class 3 civil infraction to open a liquor container or consume liquor in a public place, except as permitted by law. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.08.200)


    It is a class 3 civil infraction to open or consume a package containing marijuana or a marijuana-infused product in view of the general public. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.15.220)


    Smoking is prohibited within a minimum distance of 25 feet from entrances, exits, open windows, and ventilation intakes that serve enclosed smoking prohibited areas. (State of Washington RCW 70.160.075)


    It is a gross misdemeanor to knowingly and maliciously cause physical damage to any public or private building, structure, or
    personal property without owner authorization. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.12.020)


    It is unlawful to knowingly cause or permit sound that is a public disturbance noise and refuse to cease when ordered to do so by a law enforcement officer. The content of the sound will not be considered in determining any violation. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.08D.090)


    No person may ride a bicycle, skateboard, or non-motorized vehicle upon any sidewalk or other pedestrian way within the congested retail zone. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 16a.61.787)


    It is a misdemeanor to intentionally obstruct pedestrian or vehicle traffic flow in a public place, or aggressively solicit someone using conduct that would likely intimidate a reasonable person. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.10.025)


    It is a misdemeanor to sit or lie on, or upon any object not intended for sitting, on a public sidewalk, 6:00am - midnight in the retail core. Boundaries are generally Spokane Falls Blvd. to the freeway and Division St. to Maple St. A Police Officer must first advise violators and give reasonable time to comply. If they refuse to move or are contacted again, they may be cited. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.10.026)


    It is a misdemeanor to knowingly: smoke or carry a lit pipe, cigar, or cigarette; discard litter; spit, urinate, or defecate; consume or possess an alcoholic beverage; obstruct or impede transit vehicle flow or passenger traffic; or unreasonably disturb others, while on or in a transit vehicle or station. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.10.100)


    It is a misdemeanor to knowingly enter or remain unlawfully in or upon another’s premises. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.12.050). To trespass an individual from your property use this form. Keep a copy on file at your business along with the incident number provided by Crime Check (509.456.2233). Request through Crime Check that an officer come by to receive a copy of the completed form. If the individual returns there will be documentation to prove they were trespassed from a previous date. The SPD recommends that the trespass not exceed two years. To post a notice in doorways, use this 8"x 10" template.


    It is a gross misdemeanor to make or have in possession any tool or implement that is adapted, designed, or commonly used for vehicle prowling. (City of Spokane Ordinance Section 10.12.045)