Spring Clean-Up to resolve complaints and provide public education

City of Spokane Parking Services will be dedicating resources to resolve complaints and educating the public about on-street parking compliance. Starting Wednesday, February 26, City Parking Services personnel will deploy throughout the City to address complaints, distribute courtesy notices and issue citations.

“This is an opportunity to do some housekeeping and educate citizens about the do’s and don’ts of parking,” says Kris Becker, Director of Parking Services.

The public will see parking officers across the City visiting vehicles and placing bright pink courtesy notices on them or possibly issuing citations. They will inform and educate the parker of any violations found, or that were reported (such as continuous stay or abandoned vehicle) and ask for the violation(s) to be corrected.

On-street Parking Violations Include:
• Displayed vehicle registration expired beyond 45 days
• Improper display of vehicle registration
• Occupying an area signed “No Parking”
• Parking in the wrong direction, against the flow of traffic
• Parked more than 12 inches from the curb
• Parked on sidewalk/planting strip
• Parked in the intersection
• Parked within 30 feet of a stop/yield sign or other signal
• Parked within 20 feet of a crosswalk
• Parked within 15 feet of a fire hydrant
• Parked within 5 feet of a driveway or alley entrance
• Advertising or repairing a vehicle on the street
• Continuous parking (72 hours in residential areas)

Public education through courtesy notices is an important element of the Spring Clean-up event. The courtesy notices give citizens the opportunity to fix or correct their parking situation they may not be aware is a violation. Some people are not aware that there are parking laws outside of signed areas. Courtesy notices will not carry a penalty; however, if violations are not corrected, a citation could be issued.

If an issue or complaint was submitted through My Spokane 311, people will be able to track the status of their complaint online. Citizens can also call My Spokane, 311 or 509.755.CITY (2489), for outside city limits.